This week we finally took the AP test which I felt pretty good about, and we also started thinking about genius hour projects. I am planning on trying to turn mycelium into a a form of usable string/yarn. Getting to this idea was a very complicated thought process.
I saw that WPI researchers managed to grow human heart cells on a decellularized spinach leaf and wanted to do something similar so I thought about growing animal cells on decellularized fungus. This made me remember that people have made fireproof bricks out of fungus, and focusing on the idea that the bricks were fireproof I thought about applying this property of fungus to making clothes. Doing some more research into this I found that mushroom clothing has been made once before; however, the fungus was grown on the mold of a human, not made from yarn. Growing the clothing on a mold seems impracticable to me as the clothing would be shaped to the mold and wouldn't be able to fit anyone who chooses wore the mushroom clothing. After seeing this I decided to try and attempt to make yarn out of mycelium to improve upon the other mushroom clothing that I had researched.
This weekend I did some tests and found that mushrooms either do not burn or burn very poorly depending of the type of mushroom. I also found that looking for mycelium in the woods is very difficult and that I will likely need to grow it myself which will be the most difficult part as I will need enough mycelium to turn into a relatively decent amount of string. Other than figuring out a way to grow enough mycelium I am looking forward the next month of genius hour.