Saturday, May 27, 2017

Week of May 22 to May 26

     This has been the third week of Genius Hour and I ran into a few snags. Two out of my three original Petri dishes became contaminated with green mold and I had to throw them away. The third dish is still growing very well and appears have a lot of mycelium. I also started growing another five plates which should help to make up for the two contaminated dishes. I also found of that extracting the mycelium is extremely, extremely difficult to extract intact. as I did a test run on a contaminated dish. I looked at some mycelium under a microscope and found the reason for the difficulty in extracting is that the mycelium is very, very, very small and thus fragile. I am trying to come up with some ideas to see if I can successfully extract the mycelium but as of now I only have one idea that will hopefully work. For now, all I can do is wait for the mycelium to grow and hope that I can extract some mycelium or else the end result of my experiment will end in failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment