Sunday, May 21, 2017

Week of May 15 to May 19

This was the first full week dedicated to Genius hour and I feel pretty good about it. I made three agar plates and bought some oyster mushrooms from Shaws. I also added the oyster mushrooms to the agar plates to work on growing the mycelium that I need. On Friday I quickly checked on my plates and saw a little bit of growth of all three plates which is a promising sign. I also did a little more background research into the structure of mushrooms to see what makes them flame retardant. I also tested how well oyster mushrooms are at resisting fire and found that oyster mushrooms are indeed fire resistant, now I just have to hope dried mycelium is too. This upcoming week I plan on attempting to start making the mycelium string if I can grow enough mycelium and continuing background research as much as possible to try and understand why mushrooms are fire resistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment