Sunday, March 12, 2017

Reflection for Week of Mar. 6 to Mar.10

Standards of the Week [4.4, 4.5, 4.7]

How did you do on your work?
This week we did a POGIL on cell division and a click and learn. I feel I did well on both for the most part; however, with the click and learn extension problems I had some trouble as they challenging for me with having to remember what mutations affect proto-oncogenes and tumor suppressors, and with all the acronyms of the different proteins and remembering what each one does.

What do you think you understand well?
I feel that I understand standards 4.4 and 4.7 pretty well as we focused on mitosis and meiosis pretty heavily in advanced biology and throughout AP Bio this year we have learned about genetic variation with the information unit and evolution unit. I don't feel confident on diploid and haploid (n and 2n stuff) as I had trouble with it freshman year and we haven't gotten into much depth with it yet this year.

Where do you think you can improve?
I think I can improve on learning to identify each step of cell division in a cell as I missed that day in class and had some difficulty with this as a freshman. I think I can also improve on understanding proto-oncogenes and tumor suppressors in greater depth. As of now I only understand the basics of proto-oncogenes and tumor suppressors and the click and learn made me realize how complicated they really are.

What strategies will you use to improve?
To improve at identifying stages of cell division I will try to go to class during study hall to the activity I missed with looking at cells and looking at cells dividing online so I can easily identify the stages of cell division. To understand proto-oncogenes and tumor suppressors I will review the click and learn and ask questions about them as they come up.

How does the current work fit the context of the course?
Cancer and cell division goes along with what we recently learned about the structure of DNA and how it replicates because for a cell to divide DNA must replicate. Also knowing how errors can appear in DNA to cause side effects such as cancer within an organism. Another connection is with evolution and how genetic variation needs to exist we are now learning about how sexually and asexually reproducing organisms gain genetic variation allowing for things such as natural selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment