Sunday, March 26, 2017

Reflection for Week of Mar. 20 to Mar. 24

Standards of the Week [4.6, 4.7, 4.8]

How did you do on your work?
This week we worked on Punnett squares, Chi-squares, Mendelian genetics and the fungus tetrad activity. I felt pretty good on the work as the Mendelian genetics were mostly a review from last year and they are pretty straight forward. The fungus tetrad activity was a bit harder with finding the map distances but after asking Mrs. Cole it made sense and the whole activity came together.

What do you think you understand well?
I feel that I understand Mendelian genetics and Chi-square analyses pretty well now. As I said the Mendelian stuff is mainly review from last year and I did well on it, and with all the extra practice with Chi-squares I think I finally understand how to do them as two weeks ago I was having trouble as I am not in stats this year.

Where do you think you can improve?
I need to slow down on some of the simpler problems with genetics as I assume that I know what I am doing and don't end up reading the whole question or misreading a keyword in the problem. This then sets me up for failure when I do out the problem which isn't good. I think I could also use some time to work on remembering Mendel's laws as last year in chemistry I could never remember what law was what.

What strategies will you use to improve?
I will slow down when reading the question to make sure I am answering the correct question in the correct way. I will also review Mendel's laws until I understand what they are and how Mendel came to the conclusion that the laws were laws.

How does the current work fit into the context of the course?
Genes and alleles are parts of DNA which brings us back to the very basis of biology, DNA. DNA is the most important organic molecule because without it there would be no different species, no variation, and no life. This week also fits in well with the evolution unit as alleles affect what phenotype is expressed and natural selection often caters towards one phenotype or another like with the rock pocket mice being light or dark furred.

No comments:

Post a Comment